“Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?” Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’” (Matthew 22:36-39)
At the center of Christian life is service to others. We are called to share in God’s work by loving and serving all those in need, in this neighborhood and in the world.
There are service opportunities regularly. The next service opportunities are:
- Build Furniture to help our school grow! Sunday, March 20th, 12:30pm-3pm. We have so much new furniture and other supplies for our new preschool classrooms at 139 S. Clinton Street--and we need help from many hands to put it all together. We'll have pizza and beverages to share, and plenty of allen wrenches for you to put to good use.
- Feeding Efforts: Opportunities to volunteer on Friday afternoon, Friday evening, Saturday morning, to help get groceries, produce, and meals in the hands of hundreds of local families. Use this volunteer intake form and this volunteer shift form for more information and to get involved.
- Youth Mentoring Program: Every Thursday, 5:00pm-6:30pm. Work one-on-one with 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students on math, reading, and physical fitness. Make a huge difference in the life of one of our neighborhood young people. Returning in Fall 2022
- Monthly Saturday Clean-Up Crew, Once a month (check the calendar page) 9am Share coffee & donuts, plus get busy outside in the alley, sidewalks, and gutters to make sure our church and our block are looking their best. A quick and satisfying way to get started on a Saturday.
- Little Free Library—Book Donations Please bring your books in to keep our library filled. Children's books and books in Spanish are particularly appreciated.
- Summer Day Camp, July. In collaboration with YouthWorks and the Southeast Youth Coalition, we sponsor a summer day camp for four weeks of July. The program runs half-days (8:30am-1pm) and includes breakfast & lunch, swimming weekly, and lots of academic, art, and athletic activities.